Its been a few weeks since my Grandma Gregersen passed away and I feel like I would be extremely ungrateful if I didn't say a few words on the blog about her.
We were very lucky to live only an hour or so from my Dad's parents which gave us to opportunity to go down and see them quite often. I remember when we were little kids we would spend many of those visits making cookies with Grandma and playing games such as Polley-anna and Cootie Bug. As we got older we moved on to more outdoor activities such as hockey and riding motorcycles. Grandma was always so happy to see us. In all the time I spent around her I don't ever remember her getting mad or saying anything bad about anyone. She was a great example of loving a people unconditionally. I was on my mission when Grandpa Gregersen died nearly 15 years ago and wasn't able to attend his funeral. After Grandpa was gone Grandma was even more happy when we'd stop by to visit her. I'm grateful that Heidi's family lives in Hyde Park which gave us a lot of opportunity to stop and visit Grandma and we traveled between my visits to my family and Heidi's.
Even though it is hard to see her move on from this life to the next I am happy that she was able to live such a wonderful life and be such a shining example to everyone she came in contact with. I'm also happy that after 15 years alone she was able to reunite with my Grandpa and all his family and with the members of her family who have passed on before her. I'm grateful that she was able to pass quickly without being sick to long or suffering to long. She had just renewed her drivers license only weeks before she passed and was only in the hospital for a few days.
I'm going to try and imbed a video my cousin posted on facebook. This is Grandma around her 90th birthday giving advice to her family. Hopefully it works.
The funeral was really quite excellent. All my aunts & uncles & dad spoke about grandma. They all did excellent jobs. A few things that stood out to me. Grandma grew up in the depression and her family was very poor. A story was told about how when she was in school there was a boy in her class whose family was even more poor than hers. This boy didn't have any shoes so he came to school one day wearing his mother's shoes. Kids being like they are teased him about wearing his mother's shoes and my grandma was among them. When she got home after school she told her mother about it. Her mother told her something that changed her life. She said don't ever think that you are better than someone else and don't ever think that someone else is better than you. She ended up befriending the boy and for the rest of her life tried to make others feel like they were loved and important. I hope I can take her example and try to be more like her and be a friend to the person who might not have any. She was also extremely grateful for the things that she had and the blessings the Lord had given her. I hope I can be more appreciative of the blessings I receive.
I know that Grandma is in a better place, that she is with Grandpa and many other loved ones and that she is happy. I also know that I will see her again someday and I look forward to that time and hope I can live my life in a way that will make her proud of me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment